East Wales

Tabernacle, Llanvaches

Details

Setting the record straight ...

Tabernacle URC, in the village of Llanvaches in Gwent, has a fine pedigree. Established in 1639, it is not only one of the URC's oldest chapels, but was also the first non-conformist chapel in Wales. And yet, according to retired minster, the Revd Shem Morgan (pictured), it is a victim of inaccurate internet reporting.  It is, in fact, what Mrs Sue Cole, property office for the URC's National Synod of Wales, has dubbed a "Welsh Wikileek".

shemmorganInternet sources note that the present church building was built on the site of the original 1639 building. This is not so: the original church stood in the neighboring hamlet of Carrow Hill and was rebuilt in Llanvaches in 1802, when a suitable plot of land was found. This discrepancy is righted, and many other details of Tabernacle URC's long history, revealed in Mr Morgan's recently revised "A History of Tabernacle URC, Llanvaches." 

Mr Morgan was in pastoral charge of Tabernacle URC between 1983 and 1997 and published the original edition to coincide with the 350th anniversary of the establishment of Tabernacle in 1989. Now out of print, Mr Morgan, now aged 90, was encouraged to update the text and a new colour version was launched last month.

To obtain a copy of the revised "A History of Tabernacle URC, Llanvaches" please contact Mr Roger George on 01633 400 511.

   
© The United Reformed Church, National Synod of Wales, 2011 - 2014